Conflict Resolution: Use of the Twelve Skills Summary Directions:
You will prepare a 3-4 page paper meeting the following criteria. What challenges do you anticipate in negotiating conflicts? Review the Conflict Resolution Network 12 Skills Summary located in Box 12.3 of the Tracy and O’Grady (2019) textbook. Box 12.3 Conflict Resolution Network’s 12 Skills Summary • • Win-win approach (How can we solve this as partners rather than opponents?) • • Creative response (Transform problems into creative opportunities.) •
• Empathy (Develop communication tools to build rapport; use listening to clarify understanding.) • • Appropriate assertiveness (Apply strategies to attack the problem, not the person.) • • Cooperative power (Eliminate “power over” to build “power with” others.) •
• Managing emotions (Express fear, anger, hurt, and frustration wisely to effect change.) •
• Willingness to resolve (Name personal issues that cloud the picture.) • • Mapping the conflict (Define the issues needed to chart common needs and concerns.) •
• Development of options (Design creative solutions together.) •
• Introduction to negotiation (Plan and apply effective strategies to reach agreement.) •
• Introduction to mediation (Help conflicting parties to move toward solutions.) • • Broadening perspectives (Evaluate the problem in the broader context.) retrieved from Tracy, M. F., & O’Grady, E. T. (2019). Hamric and Hanson’s advanced practice nursing: an integrative approach (Vol. 6th). St. Louis, MO: Elsevier. Pg 304 Describe a specific situation or conversation in which there was a conflict between a nurse or advanced practice nurse and another healthcare provider or administrator. Apply each of the Twelve Skills to the scenario that you have described to produce a positive communication outcome. Your paper must be presented in a single Word document. The paper must be between 3 to 4 pages in length, not including the title and reference list pages. The paper must use proper APA Publication Manual, 6th Edition formatting, including title page, running head, and reference list with properly formatted citations in the body of the paper. To view the Grading Rubric for this Assignment, please visit the Grading Rubrics section of the Course Resources.