Read the following case study:
Sue is an RN who has been practicing for 3 years and typically works in labor and delivery, and she volunteers at a clinic that serves diabetic OB patients. She encounters two patients, one who has developed gestational diabetes and the other who has been diabetic her entire life.
While working on her normal shift in labor and delivery, Sue is in charge of a student nurse who will be graduating in 2 weeks and assigns this nurse to the newly admitted patient with gestational diabetes. The patient started having contractions about 2 hours ago that are now 2–3 minutes apart, lasting approximately 10–15 seconds.
Create a concept map showing Benner’s stages from novice to expert and its alignment to the nursing process for an improved nursing care plan.
Write a 525- to 700-word summary explaining the concept map and how the concepts in Benner’s theory relate to the nursing process, including alignment with critical thinking and clinical decision-making for an improved nursing care plan. In addition, address the following:
- Define each stage on the continuum and describe the characteristics associated with each stage. Include setting, patient needs, level of understanding, and complexities that may contribute to increased risks.
- Explain where you fall on the continuum. Where do Sue and the student nurse fall?
- Include an explanation to why you placed each stage in the specific area.
- Use this information to develop a personalized nursing theory or model for the above scenario to address the care needed for each patient.
Use visual presentation software from the College of Education Technology Resource Library to create your concept map. To review your options, do the following:
- Select Web Tools in the Table of Contents.
- Select Collaboration & Productivity from the list of tools.
Include at least 2 scholarly resources from the University Library to support you work.