- Week 6 DiscussionDiscussion Topic Due October 28 at 11:59 PMFor this assignment, make sure you post your initial response to the Discussion Area by the due date assigned.
To support your work, use your course and text readings and also use outside sources. As in all assignments, cite your sources in your work and provide references for the citations in APA format.
Respond to at least two of your classmates. Participate in the discussion by asking a question, providing a statement of clarification, providing a point of view with a rationale, challenging an aspect of the discussion, or indicating a relationship between two or more lines of reasoning in the discussion by the end of the week.
Complete the following discussions:
- Write a DNA sequence that will encode for at least five amino acids. Change three different bases separately (either by addition or deletion) and write the corresponding amino acid sequences that result from these modifications.
- Which genetic disorder (other than Alzheimer’s disease, familial amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Huntington’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, Lewy body dementia, and prion disorders) results from protein misfolding? How does protein misfolding result in the onset of the disorder? In your opinion, is there sufficient current research on drugs or treatment for your chosen disorder?
- Using the South University Online Library and the Internet, search and describe a genetic disorder (other than α-thalassemia mental retardation syndrome, immunodeficiency–centromeric instability–facial anomalies [ICF] syndrome, Rett syndrome, and Rubinstein-Taybi syndrome) that results from aberrant chromatin remodeling. Does the disorder result from adding or deleting acetyl, methyl, or phosphate groups? Explain. Does the abnormal chromatin remodeling affect other genes?
- Using the South University Online Library and the Internet, search and describe a genetic disorder that results from aberrant gene splicing. How does alternative splicing affect the disorder? Where in the gene does the aberrant splicing occur?