Watch the video above and answer the following questions
What is consciousness? What if consciousness is a product of the operation of the brain? Would this devalue consciousness or should this cause us to regard the brain and the physical world as more wondrous than Descartes seemed to believe?
Is free will compatible with science – such as quantum physics (e.g. Heisenberg’s Uncertainty Principle) – after all?
Descartes believed that only humans have dual existence as matter and as mind. Was he wrong? Must we also acknowledge that animals like octopuses have minds? Does this also mean that we have to acknowledge that they have a spiritual aspect to their lives?
Discussion Assignments have the following objectives:
- Identify and describe key concepts presented in textbook reading material, video lectures, and other assigned content.
- Draw connections between assigned content material and practical areas of interest.
- Explore ideas in philosophical depth beyond the presentation of course material.
- Draw connections between philosophical discourse and one’s practical life.
- Engage in respectful philosophical conversation.
- This objective will be measured according to replies posted to other students or to professors.
When completing discussion assignments, please remember:
- Your main post should take a minimum of 300 words. Explain and support what you say.
- Any sources that you use must – including textbook and video lectures – be cited and referenced responsibly in APA format.
- You should post at least two substantial replies to other participants.
- Please refer to the syllabus and grading rubric for more guidance.