This assignment builds upon the Module 4 Dropbox: Identification, Research, Analysis assignment you submitted previously. Be sure to review the feedback you received from that assignment, and make any necessary revisions BEFORE moving forward with this assignment.
Focusing on the same case as before, you will now complete the fourth step of the critical thinking process: 4) Application. You will apply a Consequential Ethical Theory – Act Utilitarianism – to resolve the main ethical/moral issue.
Again, review the case in the Ethics textbook Chapter 24: Case 6, Life on the Streets.
Follow the Sample Format: Application – Act Utilitarianism, and submit to this Dropbox using MLA formatting.
Apply Act Utilitarianism, as follows:
Discussion (150 words minimum)
Paragraph – Summarize Act Utilitarianism. Include descriptions of the key terms/concepts: Utility, Net Utility, and Happiness. Use your own words. Do not use quotations. Paraphrase the information, and provide in-text citation(s) with the page number(s), where appropriate. In the Works Cited, be sure to cite your source(s).
Identification (one sentence in bold print)
Restate the main ethical/moral issue you previously identified in Module 4.
Analysis/Application – Act Utilitarianism (chart)
- Use the same analysis chart you completed previously in Module 4 (following my feedback in Module 4 make necessary changes). Include four options, four stakeholders, and possible consequences.
- In the chart, enter the happiness number for each consequence.
- Provide the happiness scale you used.
- Add a row to the bottom of the chart, and add up the numbers for each option to indicate the total Net Utility for each option. Remember, if a stakeholder is more than one person (e.g., group, team, family, citizens, business) estimate how many are in the group, and multiply the happiness number by the number of persons in the group. If a stakeholder is one person, multiplication is not needed.
- Conclusion paragraph (150 words minimum)
- State the “best” option, and explain how a true Act Utilitarian would come to this conclusion. Include the Net Utility number, and explain how you determined the number. Be impartial. Avoid any bias; do not express your own personal opinion; do not use the words, “I think” or “I feel.”
Use the Dropbox Grading Criteria to help guide your completion of this assignment.
- Use MLA Formatting. Double-space the entire document. Adjust all font color/style/size to black Times New Roman 12 pt. Put the heading in the upper left corner of the first page; include your name, the professor’s name, the course name, and the date. Use the document header to display your last name and page number in the upper right corner of each page. Put the “Works Cited” on the last page, and the total word count at the end of the document.
- Attach your submission in the proper Microsoft Word format .doc or .docx or .rtf.