For Questions One and Questions Two.
Write a response for questions 1-4 based on your reading and the journal article. Please remember that points will be taken for not using APA style writing format and citing references (the text and the journal article). Both sets of questions shall produce a 350-500 word response.
Summary of article:
The author of the article advocates for a change in paradigm in the treatment of substance use disorders. Instead of assisting only those who are seeking help for addiction, we can serve a much broader population and engage many more in substance abuse prevention, education, and treatment. People can assess their own level of risk for substance abuse disorder and modify their behaviors using online programs in the privacy of their homes.
1. Write a response to the questions below:
- Should substance abuse screening tools be easily available on websites that are often visited by members of your community? Why or why not?
- How does this change in paradigm affect your thoughts about substance abuse prevention?
- How does this study challenge your understanding of the first contact between patient and professional? Please explain your answer.
- Can trust play an important factor in the development of the relationship with a patient during the first interview? If yes, please explain.
The popularity of the transtheoretical model of Prochaska & DiClemente (1983) led to the requirement of measuring the readiness to change of clients entering substance abuse treatment programs. The authors used a specific assessment tool (Stages of Change Scale–Substance Abuse) to evaluate the motivation of clients to change. The application of this scale allowed clinicians to individualize treatment plans appropriate to clients’ readiness to change.
Questions to Consider:
1. How do individual struggles with addiction determine a person’s motivation for treatment?
2. Should a treatment plan be based on the outcomes of standardized assessment tools? Why or why not?
3. How can clinicians improve the cost-effectiveness of treatment?
4. Can the assessment of the stage of change and motivational interviewing play into the relationship established by the clinician and the patient? If yes, please explain.